Saturday, May 18, 2024

Brief Notes on Various Topics -- 26

18 May 2024

Brief Notes on Various Topics – 26

1.  I often compare Classical Platonism to the Dharmic traditions of India such as Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shaivism, and so forth.  As I have explained, my view is that Classical Platonism, both in its teachings and in its view of the cosmos, and in its view of the purpose of human life, more closely resembles these Dharmic traditions than modern and contemporary philosophy.  To emphasize this, I will sometimes use the phrase ‘Platonist Dharma.’ 

The other day I was reading a short book, really a longish essay, on suffering and its place in ethics.  The book never mentions Buddhism.  It tries to unpack what suffering means without ever noting the Buddhist tradition and its insights on this topic even though the first of the Four Noble Truths is the Truth of Suffering (Dukkha).  I found this startling.  I suspect that is because I spent a lot of time studying Buddhism and the basics of Buddhism have to a significant extent become a part of my mind; for example, when I see a book that has suffering as its theme, I automatically assume that there will be an engagement with the Buddhist tradition on the part of the author.  This engagement may be critical or praising, it may be a critique or a resource, but I assume the relationship will be there.  But I’m wrong about that.

To a significant extent Western Philosophy today remains unaware of the contributions and systems of non-Western thought and this is true even for very liberal, or even radical, Western philosophers.  What this means is that when I suggest that Platonism resembles Dharmic traditions in significant ways it is doubtful that most Western philosophers will know what I am referring to. 

2.  I don’t recall where I first ran into the idea that it is typical that only 2% of those who hear about a spiritual practice or tradition will end up involved with that tradition.  But it is my observation that this is true; it is born out by many years of observation.  I think people are very busy, they have many obligations and duties, and because of this the demands of a spiritual tradition may seem simply to be just another demand on their time.  And in a secular culture such as ours, the idea of a non-material spiritual dimension may seem laughable. 

I have been involved in a number of spiritual traditions (I am restless that way) and I observed this 2% rule among these traditions.  In some cases a tradition may receive some positive publicity at some point and because of this there is an influx of seekers.  But that drops off and evens out. 

In the case of Platonism I think it is less than 2%.  This is because Platonism is not presented, at least not usually presented, as a spiritual tradition and so people just don’t think about engaging Platonism, or philosophy, in this way.  I used to think that this was a ‘terrible’ situation, and in some ways it is.  On the other hand, it means that those who are practicing Platonism today as a spiritual tradition are likely to stick with it.

3.  One of the reasons conservatives tend to be outmaneuvered by their opponents is that it is inherent in existence that things change and pass away; things are in the process of begoning.  If you are fond of that which is passing away the tendency is to interpret that passing away, that begoning, by finding a material cause that undermines the existence of it.  But here Platonism has helped me understand that begoning is of the nature of this realm and all the things within it.  Looked at it in this way, there is no reason for regret.

4.  According to Platonist cosmology the cosmos is everlasting in its cyclical nature which is governed by the World Soul and by number.  The cosmos is everlasting because that is the way that material existence can engage with the eternity of the One and the Noetic.  As Plato says, it is ‘the moving image of eternity.’

When we become more aware of the cyclic nature of material existence this can be a way of approaching that which is everlasting.  The flow of the seasons, the cycle of day and night, are instantiations of cyclical everlastingness.  When seen in this way they can be used to transcend becoming and begoning and function as a gate to the Noetic.

5.  In a dream I had recently I was paddling a canoe on a small like in Wisconsin that I used to visit with my family when I was young.  The sun was setting.  The canoe was now moving forward on a path of light, having left the lake behind.  It still sounded like water when I dipped my paddle into the stream of light.  And there were ripples in the stream of light.  I interpret this as a symbol of the eternal sun; that which our sun is a material symbol of. 

It is a long journey.  But the journey to the Good, the One, the Beautiful, and the Eternal is the journey to our true home and our true peace.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ethical Restraint as Platonist Practice

  30 June 2024 Ethical Restraint as Platonist Practice “Athenian:  Observation tells me that for human beings everything depends on three ne...